Monday – September 11, 2018 at 5:30 PM
- F. Edward Devitt, Chairman
- Jeffrey D. Crist, Member
- Matthew P. Stoddard, Member
- Rodney Winchell, Member
- Joseph Joy, CEO
- Edwin Williams, First Vice-Chairman
- Stephen Rainaldi, Second Vice-Chairman
- John W. Dickson, Member
- A. Zambrotta, Assistant Secretary
- A. Joseph Scott, III, Esq.
- Hodgson Russ Attorneys
- Members of the Audience
- Suzanne Hadden, Recording Clerk
- Robert Mc Laughlin, Esq. Hodgson Russ Attorneys
- George Cregg, Esq. Hodgson Russ Attorneys
- Call to Order
- Recapture Policy — Discussion
- NYS Economic Development Council – Discussion
- Other Business
- Approval of the July 16, 2018 Meeting Minutes
Chairman Devitt called the meeting to order and welcomed Jeffrey Crist to the board.
Recapture Policy – Discussion
- Chairman Devitt said the board members just received a copy of the policy tonight and there is a resolution, however we will hold off until everyone has had a chance to read though the document. He asked Attorney Scott to review the policy with the members.
- Attorney Scott reviewed the draft policy and highlighted the main points on each page. Attorney Scott said you have a policy in place now, so you are compliant with the law, because the law requires you to have a recapture policy. If the board needs more time to think about this, you can concentrate on it and have it approved at the next meeting.
- Chairman Devitt asked if the board had any questions for Attorney Scott?
- A brief discussion was held regarding how the IDA would be able to have the applicants respond back in a timely manner on the yearly reporting of the job status updates.
- Attorney Scott suggested a yearly letter from his firm would help and he reviewed the approval resolution for the recapture policy.
- Member Winchell motioned to accept the Recapture Policy by Resolution, seconded by Member Stoddard. All in favor, all ayes, First Vice-Chairman Williams, Second Vice-Chairman Rainaldi and Member Dickson were absent, motion carried.
NYS Economic Development Council – Discussion
- CEO Joy explained to the members what the NYS Economic Development Council was and said he would be the one most likely going to the different meetings and events that they hold. The cost is $750.00 a year for a board of this size and it is based on the operating budget. He said they have 3 major conferences yearly; educational, training, networking and other items and it’s usually a 2 to 3 – day event. They also do professional development programs during the year and lead generating business marketing that would not be directly beneficial to this IDA; that is more for businesses. Although it may be an indirect benefit for marketing the IDA to other businesses.
- A further discussion was held on the benefits and the news letters that are distributed throughout the year.
- Attorney Scott said that the NYS Economic Development Council is an excellent organization and a worthwhile investment. He said the council works with the state regulators to try and reach an agreement on how IDA’s are regulated. He said his firm is a supporter of the council through sponsoring and lecturing.
- A further discussion was held about the benefits of joining the council.
- Member Crist motioned for the IDA to join the NYS Economic Development Council, seconded by Member Winchell. All in favor, all ayes, First Vice-Chairman Williams, Second Vice-Chairman Rainaldi and Member Dickson were absent, motion carried.
- Chairman Devitt asked about the website?
- CEO Joy said he only sent an example of it out today for the board to look at.
- A brief discussion was held.
- CEO Joy said every single item can be changed, it was only just a mock up to show the board what a finished project might look like and to see if the board was okay with that.
- A brief discussion was held on the sample webpage that was emailed to all members.
- CEO Joy said now that we have a full board, Attorney Mc Laughlin had discussed setting up a training class; exclusively for new members.
- A discussion was held on when the board would want to hold the training and the type of training. The session may be held next month. Chairman Devitt left it up to CEO Joy to coordinate the training class.
- Chairman Devitt said former Member Jennings was the IDA’s Treasurer and asked if any member wanted to volunteer to be the new treasurer and if not; he would have to appoint somebody. He asked Member Stoddard if he would be willing to hold that position?
- Member Stoddard said he did not know what the job entailed, however if the board needs him, he would do it.
- Chairman Devitt suggested for the Clerk to forward some former Treasurer’s Reports to Member Stoddard and that he coordinates with CEO Joy also.
- Member Crist motioned to appoint Member Stoddard as the IDA Treasurer, to take Donna Jennings position, seconded by Member Winchell. All in favor, all ayes, First Vice-Chairman Williams, Second Vice-Chairman Rainaldi and Member Dickson were absent, motion carried.
Approval of the July 16, 2018 IDA Meeting Minutes
- The matter was tabled for the next meeting because there wasn’t a voting quorum of the board available.
Member Crist motioned to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Member Winchell. All in favor, all ayes, First Vice-Chairman Williams, Second Vice-Chairman Rainaldi and Member Dickson were absent, motion carried.